Ellen von Unwerth for GQ.
Ellen von Unwerth for GQ.
It’s been a big summer for Nicki and Meek, hasn’t it?
Nicki headlined a massive tour, won a VMA, squashed some drama with one star and started some with another one. (Miley, what’s good?)
And perhaps the only person to rack up more beef-related headlines than Nicki was Meek, whose own mess with Drake stretched on for weeksand weeksand weeks
The couple sat down with GQ for their first interview and photoshoot together, clearing the air while reminding us they’re still very much in love.

HERE’S WHAT WE LEARNED:

MEEK HAS ZERO PROBLEMS WITH NICKI’S SUCCESS.

Nicki Minaj isn’t just a successful rapper—she works hard and demands her efforts be recognized. And because the world isn’t fair, that’s not always a quality that men find attractive.


NM: People tell me all the time, it takes a special kind of man to be with a woman who has her own, and it takes a special kind of man to not feel insecure by a woman who is doing her own thing. You know? So, one of the things that made me want to be with him is we spent so much time talking, and he always made me feel like he was ok with me being me. As an artist and just as a woman.
And Meek says as much in his own words.
NM: What’d you like about me?
MM: That you was a hustler. That you were doing your thing. A lot of people coming up. People don’t really have a girlfriends that’s doing more than them or the same thing. I like girls that hustle. She a boss. She’s pretty as (expletive). Bad as (expletive). Ambitious. What else do you want?

THEY WANT A DOUBLE DATE WITH JAY AND BEY.

But their preference would be Alicia Keys and Swiss Beats.
Q: What’s the ideal double date that yall haven’t been on?
MM: I don’t know. A lot of people. Alicia Keys and Swiss Beats. Jay-Z and Beyonce.
NM: Yeah happen to love Alicia and Swizz because they’re both so down to earth. So we already are friends with them and Bey and Jay. So those are already friends. We admire and respect them. So that’s a no brainer.

EVERYONE APPROVED OF THEIR RELATIONSHIP, EXCEPT NICKI’S MOM.

Onika’s mama was skeptical.
NM: The only person was my mother. My mother only knows Meek from what she sees in public, in the media. She met him now, but she just wants to make sure he’s a nice guy. She’s overprotective of her daughter.

NICKI WAS GONNA MAKE A MOVE…THEN MEEK WENT TO JAIL.

Thanks a lot, cops. Obviously, he called her right when he got out.
NM: It’s so funny that the day he went to jail, he was on my mind the day before.
MM: Basically she was feeling the kid before when I got booked.
NM: He was on my the day before because I saw him going off on twitter, and I was like oh man, he needs somebody to like make him feel good right now. So when I heard he went to jail I was really disappointed, I reached out to his people like yo, let him know I’m praying for him to come home.
And they told him, and he asked them to call me for him. And it was like, I remember sitting on my balcony at my house and just being on the phone with him until it started getting dark outside.

THEY REGRET NOTHING.

VMAs beefs? Drake drama? Nicki and Meek wouldn’t take any of it back. (And considering it kept their names in the headlines all summer, that’s not a surprise.)
NM: I’m very happy I tweeted about the VMAs, because Anaconda had too much of a cultural impact to not be up. When these pop girls have a moment like that, they get nominated for every award, and they win it. And I was happy that people spoke out for me. People used their voices in the media to say this is true.
MM: And of course you know Meek Mill don’t regret nothing.